COME BUILD HOPE WITH US!
The Psychiatric Nurse is a Part Time role located in Philadelphia, PA. The Psychiatric Nurse will coordinate the health care needs of persons with mental health diagnoses. This position provides services to the community.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
- Treats participants in an outpatient setting who are experiencing mental distress or who have a mental health diagnosis.
- Ensures correct medication is administered and gives injections as necessary.
- Performs regular health screenings and evaluates participants.
- As needed, supports participants with medication administration and monitoring in the field.
- Takes receipts of medication from the pharmacy, then accurately documents and stores medication.
- Ensures that controlled substances are accounted for and documented daily.
- Prepares medication to be given to participants or Targeted Case Managers for delivery on an immediate basis.
- Correctly and safely disposes of medication as set by codes and standards.
- Participates in updating policies and procedures related to medication.
- Uses de-escalation techniques to help consumers manage their emotions and behavior.
- Networks with the community regarding health care needs and provide psychiatric nursing services consistent with physician orders and standard nursing practices.
- Functions as a consultant and provides education to participant's non-medical team members and the community as necessary.
- Assists participants in coordinating primary care visits, and follow up/discharge planning.
- Engages participants experiencing homelessness at homeless drop in locations or in the street, doing on site health management/education.
- Trains participants on medication management.
- Facilitates health education workshops including illness management (diabetes/seizure disorder/high blood pressure), whole health, and smoking cessation groups as needed.
- Begins the 302 process as needed.
- Ensures that all participants' visits are documented in the electronic health record (EHR).
ENTRY LEVEL REQUIREMENTS
- Must be a Registered Nurse. BA in nursing preferred.
- Board certified licensed Registered Nurse in the state of Pennsylvania.
- At least three years of nursing experience.
- Prior experience in servicing community mental health facilities and their psychiatric needs.
- Comprehensive knowledge of psychiatric clinical and psycho social/psychiatric rehabilitation practices.
- May require verbal crisis intervention assistance in emergency situations.
- Must be able to create, read and send e-mail through Gmail, create word documents in Microsoft Word, use Gmail calendar and work within an internet/intranet environment.
- Must have the ability to build rapports with Targeted Case Managers, Director of Pharmacy, Pharmacists, and Pharmacist Technicians.
- Must possess a valid driver's license and a car to use for work on a daily basis.
Mental Health Partnerships (MHP) seeks to empower individuals with mental health challenges to live full and satisfying lives, based on their specific needs and choices, all while remaining connected to their families, friendships and communities.
MHP offers over 40 services throughout the Greater Philadelphia region and beyond, including Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia counties in Pennsylvania, and select locations in the states of Delaware and New Jersey.